Today, the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) office withdrew its appearance in the alleged theft of $10 million FIFA grants by top NFF officials with the FCT High Court now set to rule on EFCC joining NFF president Amaju Pinnick and general secretary Mohammed Sanusi among the accused officials on February 20.
Abubakar Musa of the AGF office, who last year stopped court proceedings on the claim to harmonise the various court cases involving the NFF officials, conveyed the federal Government’s new position on the matter.
Justice Peter Affen said that he allowed for this so as to give all parties fair hearing and further announced that he will now on February 20 rule on having Pinnick and Sanusi being charged along with three NFF accounts staffers.
He said it was the prerogative of the prosecution to amend their charges.
A legal expert told SCORENigeria that today’s proceedings clearly showed that the government is not trying to cover up for the accused NFF officials.
It would be recalled that Pinnick and Sanusi were originally named as witnesses in this case even though they are the authorizing and approving signatories of the NFF.
Anti-graft agency EFCC thereafter applied to amend their charges to include both senior officials after the three accounts staffers had been arraigned in the matter.