Napoli striker Victor Osimhen, Mohamed Salah (Liverpool and Egypt) and Sadio Mane (Al Nassr and Senegal) today made the 10-man shortlist for the 2023 CAF Player of the Year Award.
Also on the shortlist are Achraf Hakimi, Sofyan Amrabat, Youssef En-Nesyri and Yassine Bounou, who made history when Morocco became the first African team to reach the semifinal of the FIFA World Cup last year in Qatar.
Osimhen is favourite to be crowned Africa’s best player of the year at a ceremony on December 11 in Marrakesh, Morocco.
Nwankwo Kanu was the last Nigeria star to win this coveted award in 1999.
The winner of the award will be decided after votes from a voting panel consisting of CAF Technical Committee, media professionals, head coaches and captains of Member Associations.
Player of the Year (Men)
1. Riyad Mahrez (Algeria, Al Ahli)
2. Andre-Frank Zambo Anguissa (Cameroon, SSC Napoli)
3. Vincent Aboubacar (Cameroon, Besiktas)
4. Mohamed Salah (Egypt, Liverpool)
5. Achraf Hakimi (Morocco, Paris Saint-Germain)
6. Sofyan Amrabat (Morocco, Manchester United)
7. Yassine Bounou (Morocco, Al Hilal)
8. Youssef En-Nesyri (Morocco, Sevilla)
9. Victor Osimhen (Nigeria, SSC Napoli)
10. Sadio Mane (Senegal, Al Nassr)