The emergence of Adam Mouktar Mohammed as chairman of the “strategic” FCT FA has so upset the football political juggernut in the Northcentral, Ahmed Yusuf ‘Fresh’, and his ally Shehu Dikko that a plot to nullify his resounding victory at the polls has since been hatched.
The big picture is the 2022 NFF presidential polls, which the Ahmed Yusuf ‘Fresh’ camp is actively working towards.
Mouktar Mohammed swept past incumbent Musa Talle 11-4 to not only end a most disastrous eight-year tenure of the Ministry of Petroleum director as the helmsman of Abuja football, but also usher in a fresh executive committee.
Yusuf ‘Fresh’ loyalists and chairmen of Nasarawa, Plateau and Kogi FAs – Ibrahim Alkali, Sunday Longbap, Umaru Isah – had marched confidently into the hall of the Capri Suites Hotel in Kuje last week Thursday morning convinced that their candidate will be returned as chairman of the FCT for a third term.
This was riding on the several assurances they got from Talle, who as an indigene of Abuja and also an incumbent enjoyed full control of the various electoral processes including dictating the delegates list and when it would be made public.
Talle canvassed the support of the ‘Fresh’ camp when he stepped down for the ambitious and long-serving Niger State FA boss for the coveted NFF executive committee seat for the Northcentral zone after long-drawn negotiations.
But his overconfidence was grossly misplaced and he was not only toppled, but the board he led for almost a decade was swept away in tow.
“The Abuja football family spoke out loud and clearly at the elections,” said chairmanship aspirant Godwin Bamigboye, who eight years ago had stepped down for Talle to be chairman.
“His bid for a third term worked against him.
“Any attempt therefore to subvert the will of the people will be seriously resisted.”
A hurried, hand-written petition by Talle against the candidature of his second vice-chairman of four years Mouktar Mohammed was despatched to the appeals committee soon after the last election results were announced.
Thereafter a meeting at Sharon Hotel, which had in attendance the FA chairmen as well as Shehu Dikko, made it clear that “everything and anything” be done to get their man re-installed.
Another such meeting took place the morning after and the agenda was same.
On Monday at the Old Parade Ground in Abuja, Talle submitted his appeal, alleging that Mouktar Mohammed’s election was a conflict of interests as he is also a player’s intermediary.
It was a single-paper submission with no attachment or argument to substantiate his allegations.
“In law, whoever alleges has to prove,” said a legal counsel Victoria Nlemigbo, who also contested for a seat on the FCT FA board.
“It was therefore absurd that there was nothing whatsoever provided by the appellant to do so even at the hearing.”
In his defence, the new FCT FA boss submitted a formal resignation letter as a FIFA-licensed agent dated May 2014, which he submitted and had been duly received by the NFF.
The electoral committee endorsed the candidature of Mouktar Mohammed with a formal confirmation letter before the elections.
Legal experts also said the issue of eligibility ought to have been first complained of formally by Talle before the polls and after he contested the elections, he waved aside his right to do so.
The appeals committee headed by Agbolade Dokunmu Madoks with Omeiza Suleiman as secretary and Chief Gora as a member ought to have thrown out the petition, but they did not, rather insisting they will do their findings before they make their ruling public.
It is understood there have already been several attempts to put undue pressure on the committee to do the bidding of some so-called powerful persons.
Their integrity now faces a very stern test.